Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Proposal

Senior Research Project Proposal – Rohit Kumar

I. Working Title of the Project
The process of creating Metal Organic Frameworks (MOFs): analyzing its properties and general applications.
Rohit Kumar, BASIS Advisor TBD, Professor Bin Mu

II. Statement of Purpose
            My research will be focusing on the process of creating Metal Organic Frameworks (MOFs). I will use prior research papers to understand the components of creating MOFs. In addition, I will use a 3D Computer Modeling software called Blender to create animations of the different processes that are used to create MOFs. The questions that I will be answering include: what are the unique properties of MOFs, how MOFs can be used in the real world, and what are the most efficient ways to create MOFs?

III. Background
            Over summer, I was accepted into the Summer Engineering Program at Arizona State University within the Chemical Engineering Department. During those two months, I read papers and researched about MOFs to have a better understanding of the research that was taking place in the lab. I also observed and used different instruments that are used to create MOFs and effectively test them for different properties, such as crystal structure and porosity. After a couple weeks, I became interested in doing computer modeling, so I started to learn Blender and create images that represent the instruments that are used to test MOFs.

IV. Research Methodology
            I will primarily be using previous research papers to learn about the different properties and applications of MOFs. I will also observe and learn the instruments that are used to create MOFs. I will study the samples created in the lab and create conclusions based on my knowledge from previous research papers. I will also research techniques as well as learn on my own to develop my skills in Blender in order to effectively portray the process of creating MOFs.

V. Anticipated Problems
            Although Blender has been created years ago, there are limited resources to learn from the internet, specifically about the techniques to create aesthetic animations. Most of my learning will be on my own, and I have to be disciplined in order to make progress. Within the internship, my main concern is having errors while creating samples. The creation of MOFs is a long process and mistakes can be very costly in terms of time. Therefore, following procedures of each stage and taking detailed notes is critical to supplement my understanding of MOFs.

VI. Bibliography
1. Furukawa, Shuhei, Julien Reboul, Stéphane Diring, Kenji Sumida, and Susumu Kitagawa. "Structuring of Metal-organic Frameworks at the Mesoscopic/macroscopic Scale." Chemical Society Reviews 16 (2014): 5700-5734. The Royal Society of Chemistry. Web. 9 Dec. 2015.

2. Falcaro, Paolo, Raffaele Ricco, Cara M. Doherty, Kang Liang, Anita J. Hill, and Mark J. Styles. "MOF Positioning Technology and Device Fabrication." Chemical Society Reviews 43.16 (2014): 5513-560. The Royal Society of Chemistry. Web. 9 Dec. 2015.

2 comments:

  1. When reading about MOFs, it is often discussed in terms of industrial processes and gas storage. They are often referred to as sponges and filters. Are you studying specific applications, or general structure and creation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am focusing on general structure and creation but I will also be learning other variations such as Flexible MOFs as well as different types of polymers and crystals.

      Delete